I have always been interested in continuing my environmental education, but am reluctant to spend a lot of money these days (especially since I am still paying off my university student loans). So, I have been searching online for free courses in sustainability, earth science, environmental science, botany, permaculture, alternative energy, etc., and I was amazed at how many resources I found! I have included a number of links to these online courses below. Many of the sites also offer courses in other subject areas, such as business, education, social sciences, math, and the list goes on. Some of them offer certificates, most do not, but they’re great if you’re just wanting to increase your knowledge or beef up your resume.
- Offers several video lectures including: permaculture fundamentals; design & patterns; plants, climates & soils; design projects; water & aquaculture; urban applications; and interviews.
- Offers several courses within the Nature & Environment topic area
- Offers several Science courses, as well as courses in Environment, Development & International Studies
- Offers an Introduction to Permaculture that includes many videos and presentation slides
University of California, Los Angeles (YouTube Channel)
- UCLA maintains a YouTube Channel of their free online courses, including: Education for Sustainable Living; Sustainable Living Program; Sustainable Living; Renewable Energy & Alternative Fuels; and Blue Planet: Oceanography
If you find any other free online learning sites (especially if they have an environmental context), please let me know and I will add them to the list. Happy learning!
Green Guerrilla Sustainability